Monday, March 19, 2018

Finding Meaningfulness in Mathematics

In the book Motivated: Designing Math Classrooms Where Students Want to Join In, the author describes meaningfulness as being attained when students are able to connect their personal experiences and interests to topics and ideas, thus creating an appreciation for mathematical content. Stereotypically however, and often times truly, mathematics classes are filled with copying down seemingly unimportant formulas and equations, memorizing rules and properties, and spitting it all out of mind onto a test, forgetting everything that was just 'learned'. This is definitely the process by which the 8th and 9th grade students at my current teacher assisting placement move through mathematics class. Today I was even approached with the question, "Why do we even have to learn?". Fortunately I was saved from having to answer this question, because this student was interrupting the teacher and was called out, but hearing him ask this really made me wonder what might be changed to allow these students to feel engaged and excited to learn mathematics.

Meaningfulness is a foreign concept to these students; one that is lacking so much that students often times sleep in class or talk over the teacher, not caring that their behavior is preventing the entire class from learning. Watching this happen is rough, partly because it makes me want to step in and add things to what is being taught, but also because I myself am unsure of what could captivate these students at this point as well. Being placed at this school and reading through the above mentioned book in this class has helped me remember the importance of meaningfulness in a mathematics classroom, and it has become a constant thought on my mind while planning lessons and activities for this group. I strive to be a teacher that encourages students in their learning, not only about what's required for me to teach, but in the ways that students can apply and connect their learning to other aspects of their life. As we continue through this semester, and as I prepare for student teaching in the fall, this idea of meaningfulness is definitely one that I will keep at the top of my priority list, working to engage my students in ways that help them want to learn, rather than in ways that require them to learn. Without meaningfulness, the classroom remains a scary and unwelcome place, and I hope my students never experience that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment