Sunday, November 26, 2017

A Year In Review

Almost exactly a year ago I wrote a blog post titled "Confessions of a Soon-to-be Teacher (Maybe)". I reflected on where I was in my life at that moment and talked about the struggles of determining whether or not I wanted to continue with a degree in education. Today I'm looking back, reflecting on that post and the past year.

At the end of last year's fall semester, I was ready to be done with school. I had hit a wall and was feeling broken down. I was completely unsure of what was going on in my life regarding a future career, and I had come to the point where I thought the best thing for me was to just be done. I was burnt out. Over Christmas break I had time to unwind, clear my mind, and think seriously about what I felt God was leading me to do.
In the end, I started the winter semester having changed nothing, but feeling at least slightly rejuvenated from the long break. My mindset didn't completely change of course, but I was able to adapt my mindset to that of being confident that this was where God needed me for the time being, meaning in school to pursue a degree in math education. After a wonderful summer, I entered this current school year with that same idea in mind; that God wasn't calling me to be anywhere else right now, that He wasn't directing me away from this journey, and that I was going to graduate with a degree in education.

Although this year has proven to be difficult on multiple levels (senioritis is a real thing friends), I still have been holding on to this reality. I've hit some bumps over the past few weeks and had a few very real moments in which I struggled to understand why certain doors were being closed, but every time, I've been redirected to focus on God's plan. As teacher assisting continues to get closer, I am reminded that God has me in this place for a reason. This season of life is one of challenge and doubt, but it's also one of faithfulness and change.

I recently received my placement for teacher assisting next semester, and although I still feel nervous and unsure, I also have been given a feeling of peace knowing that everything is in God's hands. I have been put here, placed in one specific school, because it's a part of God's plan for my life. God has given me the gift, ability, and desire to work with children, to teach, and to use my knowledge of mathematics to help these children grow.

It's been hard to keep an open mindset about the direction my life might take, and it's been hard to accept that following this path means giving up other things. However, I am confident that if I embrace wholeheartedly this path set before me, God will open up new doors and help me recognize everything there is to celebrate in that. If God wants me to teach math at the end of graduation, doors will be opened to make that happen, and I will be there ready to embrace it if it does.




If you want a look at what I wrote last year, here's a link to that post.
https://missyorkinthemaking.blogspot.com/2016/11/confessions-of-soon-to-be-teacher-maybe.html

1 comment:

  1. When I was convinced I wanted to teach HS, my advisor convinced me to finish my PhD. You never know what it could lead to, he said. How right he was. So I say the same to you. Being aware and seeking discernment as you are, you will find the path. Glad you persevered!

    C's: 5/5

    ReplyDelete